Vegan Plant Based Pizza
Pizza Dough (long proofing time of 18-24 hrs):
3 C All purpose flour or (1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 unbleached all purpose flour)
1/4 tsp Yeast (any kind will work)
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1 1/2 C Water
Use store bought, oil free pizza sauce or make your own pizza sauce:
1 - 18 oz can or jar of diced tomatoes
1 large onion roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning (or 1 tsp each of oregano and basil)
2 tsp red wine (optional)
1/4 C Raw cashews (soaked for 1-2 hrs)
2 1/2 TBS Tapioca four (no other substitute available)
1 tsp Nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 C hot water
Vegan Parmesan with Nuts or Seeds:
1/2 cup walnuts, or any combination of nuts or seeds (such as sesame, sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, etc.)
2 tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
1/4 teaspoon of coarse sea salt
- Prepare dough one day before making the pizza.Mix dry ingredinets with a spatula and then add water.Bring to wet sand consistency and make sure all dry flour is incorporated.Set aside on the countertop for a long rise of 18-24 hrs.Flour a work surface, place dough and knead until the dough is not stickyDough is ready when double in size and the surface has bubbles.Divide the dough into 4, use all or freeze what you don’t need.Line a pizza pan or loaf tin or baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking.Put the dough into the baking tin, cover with a cotton towel and let rise for about an hour.Prepare the Oil-Free Tomato Sauce and Cashew Cheeze Melty Moxarella.Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- DirectionsPlace the tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs into a small saucepan with the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.Cool for about 10 minutes, then pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and pulse until the tomato and herbs are finely chopped but not pureed.Pour the blended sauce back into the saucepan to thicken if necessaryAdd salt and pepper to taste. This sauce is tangy without any salt, taste it first and add only a pinch of salt, if any Use on pasta and store the leftovers in a glass jar in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks or freeze for future use.
- Method:Blend to a very smooth paste, until creamy.Pour the blended cashew mixture into a small saucepan and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and looks like melted cheese. (about 5-8 mins)Let it cool completely and chill in refregerator before using it on your pizza or lasagna.
- Variation – Mozzarella BallsPut 2 cups of water into a bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt.Add 2 cups of ice cubes to make the water very cold water.Cook the cashew cheeze mixture until thick (as in method above)Drop about ¼ - ½ cup of the thick hot mixture into the cold water it will from a firm ball.Remove the balls after about 5 minutes.OR pour the cheeze mixture into a ramekin bowl to mold and refrigerate.Slice and use like mozzarella cheese. This will be good for about a week.
- Vegan Parmesan with Nuts or Seeds:Place all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse to form a coarse powder.Refrigerate. It will last in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
- PIZZA Assembly:1. Roll out the pizza dough using a rolling pin.2. Bake the base in a preheated oven at 350F for 10-15 mins until dough looks just cooked.3. Remove from oven spread tomato sauce4. Use any vegetable toppings of your choice5. Top with homemade Vegan Mozzarella6. Top with homemade Vegan Parmesan7. Place it back in the oven for 10-12 mins until cheese is meltedENJOY!!!
Comments are closed.