Healthy Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- 3/4 C whole wheat flour
- 3/4 C unbleached all purpose flour or any combo of flour or GF flour
- 3/4 C dates (7-10 dates) or (1/2 C dates + 1/4 C raisins) or sweetener of your choice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBS flax meal (optional)
- 1/2 - 3/4 C chopped walnuts (optional)
- 4 mashed very ripe bananas
- Raw apple sauce of 2 apples, or 1 C store bought apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla, or powdered cardamom, or spices of your choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and dust* a small bundt pan, or a loaf pan or 8in. round pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients and combine well.
- Make a well in the center and add mashed bananas and apple sauce. Fold to combine, and do not over mix. Mixture should be more like a dough. (Fold and cut, fold and cut...)
- Note: Ensure mixture is not too runny. Add a TBS of water at a time if required until no more dry flour remains. Mix until all dry flour is incorporated.
- Bake at 350F for 45-60 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
*NOTE: To incorporate dates & raisins as sweeteners
- Into the bowl of a food processor add 1/2 C dates + 1/4 C Raisins along with the flour and process until dates and raisins are chopped really fine. Then proceed as above.
*NOTE: DUSTING PAN
- We need flour to stick to the surface of the pan. Water works well in place of oil. Just slightly dampen the bottom and sides of the bake pan. Spread evenly. Then sprinkle flour on the damp surface.
Replace bananas with cranberry-orange zest, zucchini-choc chip or other fruity combos.
Comments are closed.