Pav bhaji is a favorite Indian street food full of vegetables and is very flavorful and delicious! Pav means pull apart buns and bhaji means vegetable mash! It is one dish that is the favorite of kids and adults alike! Many vegetables that the kids don’t like can be hidden in this dish. So don’t hesitate to experiment and hide vegetables like eggplant etc. into this tasty tantalizing dish!
Pav bhaji pizza/tostada is similar to Mexican pizza from Taco Bell but with bhaji (vegetables). Similarly we can make mexican style pizza with refried beans and lots of veggies! Both options are included in this recipe. Possibilites are endless! Lip smacking deliciousness both ways…
OPTION 1: PAV-BHAJI PIZZA RECIPE
INGREDIENTS for Pav-bhaji Pizza:
1 pkt. Tortillas of your preference to replace the Pav or for a quick snack
6 finely chopped tomatoes
1 C Cubed potatoes
1 C Cauliflower florets
1 C Green peas
1 C Cubed carrots
1 C Chopped Green Beans
2 C Finely chopped onions + Set aside 1/2 C finely chopped raw onion
6 cloves chopped garlic
1 1/2 inch Ginger chopped
1/8 tsp Turmeric powder
The above vegetables form the basic recipe, but feel free to add any other vegetables of your choice and availability!
1 C finely chopped spinach
1 C Cubed, Chayote squash
1 C Cubed, Yellow squuash
1 C Cubed, Zucchini
Pav Bhaji masala from an Indian Grocery Store near you!
1 tsp Red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 tsp Cilantro seed powder
1 tsp Cumin seed powder
Salt to taste
1. Steam cook all veggies until well cooked
2. Mash veggies using a potato masher or pulse in a food processor until mushy but not a smooth paste
3. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to boil along with pavbhaji masala (Spice) and add all other spices mentioned
4. Garnish with chopped onions, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime!
5. Enjoy with toasted whole wheat vegan buns or with toasted tortillas as a pav-bhaji pizza!
OPTION 2: MEXICAN PIZZA RECIPE
INGREDIENTS for Mexican Pizza:
1 pkt. Tortillas of your preference
1 can Vegan refried beans
1 – 16oz Spicy salsa of your choice
1 Chopped, fresh vine ripe tomato
1 /2 tsp chopped pickled jalapenos
some chopped cilantro
1 fresh lime
Buy any Oil free Tortilla or Tostadas (picture shown below). For a gluten free version buy Organic Corn Tortillas. Toast in a toaster oven or oven until crisp.
1. Take refried beans – store bought or home made.
2. Spread evenly on toasted Tortillas
3. Add chopped fresh tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, other toppings of your liking.
4. Add a squeeze of lime
5. Enjoy a quick snack for kids and adults alike.
Comments are closed.